A request was submitted last week to transform the Nashville Glass Company Building into a new Boutique Hotel. The property is across from the Neouff Mixed-use district at the corner of 2nd Avenue North and Monroe Street.
The property is currently zoned IR and is seeking SP Zoning. Additionally, is it located within the North Nashville Community Plan and a Historic Preservation District. Once approved, the request will permit hotel and retail uses. The request was made by Smith Gee Studio on behalf of Germantown Hospitality LLC. Here’s the quick rundown:
- What’s Now: Nashville Glass Company
- What’s Next: Boutique Hotel
- Owner: of Germantown Hospitality LLC
- Architect: Smith Gee Studio
- Location: 1301 2nd Avenue North
As demonstrated in the image above, the development will join a long list of projects that are planned, under construction, or recently completed. The tallest new development, Neooff, is proposed at 15 stories; the new hotel is proposed at 6 stories. Improvements along Monroe street include a grass strip and 5-foot sidewalk. The sidewalk on 2nd Avenue North is proposed as 8 feet wide with bulb-outs to allow for vehicle arrivals and a safe line-of-site for pedestrians
Architecturally, the design emphasizes character and neighborhood placemaking. The Good Neighbors Partnership Program provides guidance for new development projects. Some of the design expectations include:
- Comply with the spirit and legal requirements of the Germantown Historic Overlay District.
- Use exterior materials that are architecturally consistent with the existing neighborhood.
- Incorporate brick sidewalks whenever this is feasible or when they abut historic brick sidewalks.
The development is scheduled for the 12/9/2021 Metro Planning Agenda. Be sure to subscribe for more on this and other developments In & Around Nashville.